Re: [File API] FileList

From: Arun Ranganathan <arun@mozilla.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 21:12:06 -0700
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
CC: WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
> FileList does not follow the requirements from Web IDL:
> http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#idl-indexed-properties

Specifically you mean:

1. FileList's WebID definition should show that the getter returns a
nullable type AND
2. Supported property indices should be defined.

Thanks for these clarifications; I've done them.

> I think FileList should talk less about selected files and more about
> being a collection or list of File objects. That way it can be reused
> in the future without people tripping over its current narrow definition.

It is a collection of File objects, but they must be user selected.
HTMLInputElement and DataTransfer don't make a sufficient virtue of user
selection, so I feel it useful to keep it a part of FileList.

> Should FileList be able to hold Blob objects as well?

Don't think so.

http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileAPI/#dfn-filelist

-- A*