[Component Model] Declarative syntax for shadow DOM subtrees, was Re: Component Model Update

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 8:35 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 1:41 AM, Olli Pettay <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi> wrote:
>> One thing missing is some kind of declarative way to define
>> shadow trees, similar to XBL1's <content>.
>>
>> It would be rather strange if one needs to explicitly construct
>> shadow tree after the element is created.
>
> I know we plan to add a declarative syntax similar to XBL, but the
> scripted syntax gets into the details better, so it's better to focus
> on that first.  It's also easy, when you start from a declarative
> solution, to accidentally build in magic that's hard to replicate
> imperatively.  Starting from imperative has similar risks, but I think
> they're easier to manage.

Splitting into a fresh thread.

I also think being able to use markup to declare shadow DOM trees is
pretty cool, however I would strongly recommend coming up with a use
case that clearly illustrates the need for it. Now that we have a
fairly rigorous framework around this spec development
(http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Component_Model_Methodology), we should
follow it.

So we have to answer this question first: Why and to Whom is it
important to have such a feature?

One notion I was toying with is productivity, since declarative markup
should be easier to read.

Another possible point is consistency: we can build DOM trees using
markup in a document, why not in shadow DOM?

I don't think performance quite cuts it anymore, since JS engines have
gotten to the point where I doubt you'll see a significant difference
between declarative and imperative tree instantiation.

:DG<