Re: Component Model Update

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 7:50 PM, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@chromium.org>wrote:

> > Independent of our different point of view on control, shadow DOM needs
> > debug APIs. So much the better if these are available to extensions.
>
> Let me see if I can capture this into a feature: user scripts may have
> access to shadow DOM subtrees. In terms of WebKit, when run in user
> script worlds, the Element has an extra accessor to spelunk down the
> shadow DOM.
>
> Is this what you're suggesting?

Yes. Encapsulation is good UI, not security. I want to ignore the subtree
"normally" but jump into the astral plane for special enlightenment.

XUL has such a mechanism, but I'd wish for less mystery. I spent many hours
trying to keep element inspection working on XUL. The API should aim to work
well with code designed for normal elements.

jjb