Re: [XHR2] Blobs, names and FormData

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 01:18:19 -0700
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Cc: Michael Nordman <michaeln@google.com>, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>, Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Alfonso Martínez de Lizarrondo <amla70@gmail.com>, Webapps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 12:53 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 02:25:38 +0200, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
>>
>> Given that this seems to be the way people prefer to do it, I'm fine
>> with doing that for Gecko too. But we definitely would need to get
>> FormData.append changed so that it supports the use case.
>
> So the current line for Blob can be replaced with
>
>  append(DOMString name, Blob value, optional DOMString filename);
>
> right?

Yes. Where if the filename is excluded is left out it uses the
File.name of the Blob (if the Blob is also a File), or "blob" (if the
Blob is not a File).

That leaves the question what to do if the filename is specified but
is the empty string. I would argue that we should honor the call and
use the empty string as name when submitting.

/ Jonas