Re: [IndexedDB] Transaction Auto-Commit

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 10:52 AM, Israel Hilerio <israelh@microsoft.com>wrote:

> On Thursday, August 04, 2011 11:02 AM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>
> [snip]

>  > I'd be open to allowing read transactions which are started after a
> write transaction to see the before-write database contents. Would
> definitely want input from Microsoft and Google first though. There is also
> a question if this should be opt-in or default behavior.
> > My gut feeling is to leave this for version 2. Though that of course
> removes the ability to make it default behaviour.
>
> Microsoft would like to push this change to v2 and try to get the v1 spec
> to Last Call soon so we can start getting some adoption on this technology.

If this change were incorporated into the spec, our current implementations
would still conform, correct?  Allowing read transactions to start before a
read_write transaction is finished seems to give browsers the choice of
implementing an optimization without invalidating current behavior.

That said, we (chromium) wouldn't implement such an optimization for quite a
while, so when it goes into the spec is not of much practical importance.