Re: [XHR] support for streaming data

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 20:16:33 +0000 (UTC)
To: Chris Rogers <crogers@google.com>
cc: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Webapps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Wed, 17 Aug 2011, Chris Rogers wrote:

> Also, it would be good to get Ian's opinion about this since he's
> working on similar stuff with Web Sockets.

Right now WebSockets only works with complete messages, there's no
streaming support. I suspect that if we add streaming support to the
protocol and the API, it'll be exposed as some sort of Stream object,
which would then have a way to get the data out of it in chunked form,
maybe a growing list of ArrayBuffers or something. I haven't looked at it
in detail yet.

There would probably be some relationship to MediaStream, too; roc may
have an opinion on this topic, as he has spoken about it before.