Re: publish new WD of DOM Core; deadline August 10

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 13:32:42 +0200
To: "Arthur Barstow" <art.barstow@nokia.com>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>, "Adrian Bateman" <adrianba@microsoft.com>
Cc: "Michael Champion" <Michael.Champion@microsoft.com>
On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 00:52:33 +0200, Adrian Bateman
<adrianba@microsoft.com> wrote:
> It's harder to participate without understanding the scope of the
> problems being solved.

Bringing that point up just before publication as a means to block said
publication is not helpful. There has been ample opportunity for Microsoft
to discuss this.

> As I wrote in the separate thread to Art, we prefer a scoped spec where
> we've agreed which problems we're trying to solve rather than something
> open ended. "DOM4" seems a bit too unbounded in that context but
> agreeing on the goals for this spec, be it Core or something else will
> help answer the questions.

The goals of the specification are listed in the specification. I have
clarified them even further hoping it will resolve the stated confusion.

http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/domcore/raw-file/tip/Overview.html#goals

> I think there are some good ideas in this spec including some things
> that will be helpful to developers to have written down. We spent a lot
> of time while we were building IE9 testing to see which parts of the DOM
> specs were applicable to the browsable web platform. This is something
> we will continue to help with though our immediate priority is helping
> to move DOM L3 Events forward.

Looking forward to your first set of technical feedback.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/