Re: [indexeddb] Handing negative parameters for the advance method

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 6:16 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
> Yup. Though I think WebIDL will take care of the handling for when the
> author specifies a negative value. I.e. WebIDL will specify what
> exception to throw, so we don't need to. Similar to how WebIDL
> specifies what exception to throw if the author specifies too few
> parameters, or parameters of the wrong type.

It doesn't throw an exception -- the input is wrapped.  It basically
calls the ToUInt32 algorithm from ECMAScript:

http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#es-unsigned-long

This behavior is apparently needed for compat, or so I was told when I
complained that it's ridiculous to treat JS longs like C.  It does
have the one (arguable) advantage that authors can use -1 for "maximum
allowed value".

But anyway, yes: if your IDL says unsigned, then your algorithm can't
define behavior for what happens when the input is negative, because
WebIDL will ensure the algorithm never sees a value outside the
allowed range.  If you want special behavior for negative values, you
have to use a regular long.