Re: Rescinding the DOM 2 View Recommendation?

Hi, Art-

After discussion with PLH and Ian Jacobs, and I don't think it's
necessary for us to go through the additional overhead of rescinding the
DOM 2 View specification.

Instead, PLH and I support Anne's original proposal to simply update the
status section of the spec to point people to the HTML5 spec.  We could
add wording like:

[[
Updated definitions of the 'document' and 'defaultView' attributes are
now defined by the HTML5 specification.  Other concepts in this
specification may not be necessary for implementation in general user
agents such as Web browsers.
]]

I don't object to rescinding it, I simply prefer the option with the
least process necessary.

For what it's worth, I am not convinced of the usefulness or necessity
of adding notes (or rescinding) older specifications (e.g. DOM3 Core,
DOM2 HTML, HTML4.x and XHTML1.x, and so on, as suggested in another
thread).  A short list would be manageable, but I'm concerned about
opening the door for this as a point of contention and endless debate.
I would favor a more positive approach, actively listing the features
that a modern browser should be expected to implement (I expect that
such a list exists somewhere already); I think that would be more
helpful to implementers.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Staff Contact, SVG, WebApps, Web Events, and Audio WGs