Re: UAs shipping unprefixed websocket API implementations?

From: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 08:53:00 -0400
To: ext Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>, Salvatore Loreto <salvatore.loreto@ericsson.com>, Ian Fette <ifette@google.com>, Gabriel Montenegro <gmonte@microsoft.com>
CC: public-webapps@w3.org
Hi Boris, All,

On 8/2/11 9:48 AM, ext Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> http://blog.chromium.org/2011/08/new-websocket-protocol-secure-and.html indicates
> that the Chrome dev channel now has an unprefixed implementation of
> the WebSocket API, as far as I can tell.  Also as far as I can tell,
> the API is not really stabilized yet (e.g. there's the big open
> question about whether the compression stuff is required or forbidden).
> Am I missing something?  Should UAs actually be shipping unprefixed
> websockets at this point?

[I think Anne's replies to this thread (the head is [1]) addressed the
status of the compression issue in the API.]

Regarding the spec stability question, there is a bit of chicken-and-egg
issue here with the protocol and API. IIRC, HyBi WG met last week and I
think it would be useful if one of the HyBi participants would provide a
short status/plan of the protocol spec.

The open bug list for the Web Socket API is at [2]. Additionally, Thomas
started a thread about redirects [3].

-Art Barstow

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2011JulSep/0565.html

[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2011JulSep/0474.html