Re: [websockets] Making optional extensions mandatory in the API (was RE: Getting WebSockets API to Last Call)

From: イアンフェッティ <ifette@google.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 15:14:28 -0700
To: James Robinson <jamesr@google.com>
Cc: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Takeshi Yoshino <tyoshino@google.com>, Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>, Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>, "Web Applications Working Group WG (public-webapps@w3.org)" <public-webapps@w3.org>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, "jonas@sicking.cc" <jonas@sicking.cc>, "simonp@opera.com" <simonp@opera.com>, Brian Raymor <Brian.Raymor@microsoft.com>, Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>
I don't think we want to "forbid" any extensions. The whole point of
extensions is to allow people to do something that doesn't necessarily have
consensus by a broad enough group to be in the base protocol. That said, I
think a lot of people would be happier if deflate-stream were an independent
document as opposed to being the only extension included in the core
specification as a "known extension".

-Ian