Re: [websockets] Making optional extensions mandatory in the API (was RE: Getting WebSockets API to Last Call)

From: Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 10:23:55 +1000
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Cc: "Web Applications Working Group WG (public-webapps@w3.org)" <public-webapps@w3.org>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>, Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, "ifette@google.com" <ifette@google.com>, "jonas@sicking.cc" <jonas@sicking.cc>, "simonp@opera.com" <simonp@opera.com>, Brian Raymor <Brian.Raymor@microsoft.com>, Takeshi Yoshino <tyoshino@google.com>
On 22 July 2011 03:16, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 19:02:31 +0200, Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> For platform features that directly affect web developers' pages that
>> might sometimes be true. However, compression is also optional in HTTP and
>> it
>> doesn't appear to have caused problems or made some sites work and others
>> not based on some dominant implementation.
>
> Actually it has. You are pretty required to support it these days and you
> better be sure you Accept-Encoding header is formatted consistently.

What is the evidence of that?

Gzip encoding is optional in most java servlet containers, as it is
implemented by a Filter that the application must configure.    I've
never heard of an application not working with a client because it did
not have compression configured.

Note that I'm a bit confused by what is intended by mandatory in this
context.   Is it intended that it be mandatory that browsers only
accept connections with deflate-stream, or is it only mandatory that
they request that extension, but can accept connections without
compression?

regards