[DOMCore] Traversal

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 18:01:57 +0200
To: "WebApps WG" <public-webapps@w3.org>
DOM Traversal was not yet updated to meet our new requirements for robust
specifications so over the past couple of days I attempted doing that. The
result can be read in:

I fixed a number of issues with the old specification and included some
suggestions from this list. This is a rough summary of what has changed
apart from the new way of defining these features:

* The entityReferenceExpansion from the constructor methods is gone. As is
the expandEntityReferences attribute. Nobody does entity reference nodes.

* acceptNode() now uses unsigned short.

* The constructor method arguments except for the first argument are now
optional. whatToShow defaults to SHOW_ALL (in WebKit it currently defaults
to 0 which is rather useless).

* Instead of throwing a NOT_SUPPORTED_ERR when the first argument is null
it lets Web IDL decide what should be done there by not using the ? syntax
in the IDL.

* Recursive invocation (i.e. from the filter) is prohibited and throws
INVALID_STATE_ERR as is already the case in Opera and Gecko. (WebKit does
not always do it.)

* The proprietary attributes referenceNode and pointerBeforeReferenceNode
on NodeIterator as found in WebKit and Gecko have been added.

I included it in DOM Core because all the terminology is shared and the
constructor methods for NodeIterator and TreeWalker are on Document.

Feedback very much appreciated!

Anne van Kesteren