Re: [websockets] Making optional extensions mandatory in the API

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 12:45:42 +0200, Takeshi Yoshino <tyoshino@google.com>
wrote:
> In summary, your point seems to be that we must choose feature set that
> is considered to be taken by majority as optimal like HTTP/gzip, and ask
> browsers to support that by specifying it the W3C spec (*). I see that.
> It might make sense. However deflate-stream is not yet considered as the
> optimal choice in the HyBi WG and we're trying to introduce better one.
> Even some are doubting if it's worth using deflate-stream compared to
> identity
> stream.
>
> Requiring all browsers request (== implement) deflate-stream can be
> asking everyone to do thrown-away work as a result. Is this acceptable?
>
> Based on W3C's stance (*) and IETF's stance, the only landing point is
> initially enforcing browsers to use identify encoding except for
> experimenting new compression, and when IETF provides new compression
> extension good enough to recommend, update the API spec to switch to
> that.

I think like Ian I had not expected features you do no want to see
implemented to make it into a final draft. The API can go either way. We
could either say MUST NOT or MUST. Optional features is just not really an
option.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/