Re: [websockets] Making optional extensions mandatory in the API (was RE: Getting WebSockets API to Last Call)

From: イアンフェッティ <ifette@google.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 13:17:40 -0700
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>, "Web Applications Working Group WG (public-webapps@w3.org)" <public-webapps@w3.org>

I understand this point of view. That said, there is a lot of disagreement
in the IETF WG about deflate-stream. The extension basically breaks all
other extensions, framing, etc. It's a bit of a mess and a lot of us want to
just yank it out entirely. There was a much better proposal by yoshino-san
(deflate-frame) that basically did compression but still properly framed the
compressed result. I think that at least in Chrome we are hoping
deflate-frame will take off. That will be in a separate document though as
the current protocol doc is in last call, and you are undoubtedly familiar
with the logistical considerations of such things.