Re: Mutation events replacement

On 7/19/11 4:01 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
> 'listener' above would be a function which receives a single argument
> when notifications fire. The value of this argument would be an Array
> which could look something like this:
>
> [ { target: node1, type: "childlist", added: [a, b, c, d], removed: [x, y] },
>    { target: node1, type: "attributes", changed: ["class", "bgcolor", "href"] },
>    { target: node2, type: "characterdata" },
>    { target: node3, type: "childlist", added: [r, s, t, x], removed: [z] } ]

Given that childlist and attribute changes are merged together into
arrays, there is, in general, no way to reconstruct the ordering of
mutations.  In the example above, I'd assume that the first change to
node1 occurred before the change to node 2.  But there are 8 other
changes to node1 and we know nothing about their ordering relative to
the others.

So, if mutation order is not preserved, is an array the right data
structure for this unordered set of mutations?  There is a Map type
proposed for ES.next that allows objects as keys:
http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=harmony:simple_maps_and_sets
Would it be helpful to use that as the basis of this data structure?  Or
could DOMCore define a NodeMap type (to go along with NodeList?)

I don't have a specific use-case in mind, but I wanted to bring this up
since I imagine it would be nice to be able to quickly find all
mutations for a given target node without having to do a linear search
with Array.filter() or similar.

     David