Re: Mutation events replacement

From: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 16:43:02 +0100
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
CC: public-webapps@w3.org
On 20/07/11 16:32, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 7/20/11 4:26 AM, Dave Raggett wrote:
>> You note that style attributes may be long as an argument against
>> permitting applications to see the
>> before value.
>
> The problem is not the length per se.  The problem is that the value
> is not stored anywhere and has to be generated based on other data
> structures, which can be very expensive.  For example, as sane
> algorithm for generating this value will examine all the individual
> CSS property values to determine which of them can be collapsed into
> shorthands.
>
>> In summary, let's allow applications to choose what data they want to
>> see!
>
> As long as the "slow as molasses" behavior is opt-in, not opt-out... ;)
>
> -Boris

Perhaps we need to distinguish auto generated attributes from those that
are set by markup or scripts. Could you please clarify for me the
difference between the html "style" attribute and the one you are
referring to?  My understanding is that the html style attribute is set
via markup or scripts and *doesn't* reflect all of the computed style
properties for this DOM node.

Many thanks,
--

  Dave Raggett<dsr@w3.org>  http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett