Re: [XHR2] Blobs, names and FormData

From: Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 16:22:13 -0400
To: Michael Nordman <michaeln@google.com>
Cc: Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Alfonso Martínez de Lizarrondo <amla70@gmail.com>, Webapps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
2011/7/18 Michael Nordman <michaeln@google.com>

> BlobBuilder.getFile() as a solution to this particular problem is less
> direct (and less obvious and less discoverable so less friendly). And it
> raises questions like... Is the blob data really flattened out as a file on
> the disk somewhere? If not, then getFile() is somewhat misleading. Is so, we
> may have to create actual files when we otherwise wouldn't. Where is this
> file created? When does it get deleted?

If these are questions, they should be answered.  My understanding is that
there's no requirement that File objects have any relationship to files on
the user's filesystem; that's a use case of the type, not its definition.

(That said, I don't have an opinion on whether the type is appropriate

Glenn Maynard