Re: Test suites and RFC2119

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 19:57:26 +0200
To: "Aryeh Gregor" <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>, "Karl Dubost" <karld@opera.com>
Cc: "public-webapps Group WG" <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 19:06:57 +0200, Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com> wrote:

> Le 11 juil. 2011 à 12:58, Aryeh Gregor a écrit :
>> The standards we're discussing are not coercive.
>
> Just a minor semantics point. Web Standards are never coercive.
> They might be used by legal framework aw as a reference point for a
> certification process.

Actually, the question is important because some standards *are* used by
legal frameworks in this way, and even more important because many are
used in this way in contracting processes. In both cases this can affect
many people's livelihood, so understanding the impacts of what we do is
probably worth the effort.

cheers

Chaals