Re: [websockets] Getting WebSockets API to Last Call

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Jul 2011, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>>
>> On the other hand, we should [not] do things now that are likely to
>> create a more complicated or inconsistent platform in the future.
>
> I agree, indeed that's my main reason for not wanting to make objects
> inherit from EventTarget. :-)

I think adding EventTarget to the chain is a simplification as it
makes that interface more consistent with the majority of other ones.

>> It's a judgement call. I think we're just making different judgements on
>> how likely it is that we'll need to extend this in the future.
>
> So far I haven't seen any suggestions that would need a change to the
> constructor. We shouldn't try to solve problems we can't even imagine
> yet; how could we possibly evaluate our solutions?

Can you list the reasons for why you don't think we will not need any
of the types listed in the following email:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2011AprJun/0732.html

I'm also still interested in hearing feedback from other implementers.
So far only two have spoken up and have both been in favor of making
the argument an object.

/ Jonas