Re: [XHR2] Blobs, names and FormData

From: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 10:17:43 -0700
To: Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>
CC: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Alfonso Martínez de Lizarrondo <amla70@gmail.com>, Webapps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
On 7/11/2011 10:12 AM, Adrian Bateman wrote:
> On 11 July 2011 10:02, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>> Additionally, what is the use case of being able to set the filename
>> during a FormData submission? My perception was that the main use case
>> was to not get an empty filename as many serverside implementations of
>> multipart/form-data did not deal well with that. I so far have not
>> heard a reason to believe that having the ability to specify a precise
>> filename is a common use case, so it seems unnecessary to add syntax
>> sugar for that.
> Some content management systems use the original filename by default when storing files in document libraries. It's certainly a lesser use case but seems like a relatively trivial change to the API. I don't see it as sugar, since it's not possible to achieve this on the client in any other way.
>
> Adrian.
The work around is a lot of work: using ArrayBuffer with XHR allows
arbitrary POSTS,
and so a multipart submissions can be built up from that.

That's what we've had to do in the meantime.

-Charles