RE: [XHR2] Blobs, names and FormData

From: Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 17:12:45 +0000
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
CC: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Alfonso Martínez de Lizarrondo <amla70@gmail.com>, "Webapps WG" <public-webapps@w3.org>
On 11 July 2011 10:02, Jonas Sicking wrote:
> Additionally, what is the use case of being able to set the filename
> during a FormData submission? My perception was that the main use case
> was to not get an empty filename as many serverside implementations of
> multipart/form-data did not deal well with that. I so far have not
> heard a reason to believe that having the ability to specify a precise
> filename is a common use case, so it seems unnecessary to add syntax
> sugar for that.

Some content management systems use the original filename by default when storing files in document libraries. It's certainly a lesser use case but seems like a relatively trivial change to the API. I don't see it as sugar, since it's not possible to achieve this on the client in any other way.

Adrian.