Re: Mutation events replacement

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 5:27 PM, Rafael Weinstein <rafaelw@google.com> wrote:

> It seems like these are rarified enough cases that visual artifacts
> are acceptable collateral damage if you do this. [Put another way, if
> you care enough about the visual polish of your app that you will put
> energy into avoiding flickr, you probably aren't using alert and
> showModalDialog anyway].
>
> Also, it's up to the app when to do it, so it's entirely in its
> control (and thus avoid visual artifacts).

Given that we don't provide an API to control paint in general, I'm not
convinced that we should add such a requirement in the DOM mutation event
spec.

Note that this is a problem with both proposals. Work done in (at
> least some) mutation observers is delayed. If a sync paint occurs
> before it, it's work won't be reflected on the screen.

Right.  Maybe we can add a note saying that the user agents are recommended
not to paint before all mutation observers are called.  I don't think we
should make this a requirement.

- Ryosuke