Re: [XHR] setRequestHeader and redirects

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2011 10:13:25 +0200
To: public-webapps@w3.org, "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 16:46:23 +0200, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> On 6/25/11 2:23 PM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> So each specification that deals with custom headers of some kind (e.g.
>> EventSource has Last-Event-ID and Cache-Control) needs to say what
>> happens to them in the face of redirects?
>
> On the face of it, yes.  Especially because different redirect response
> codes have different semantics (well, in theory), so some headers may
> need to be preserved across some of them but not others.  And without
> knowing the meaning of the header, it's impossible to say when it should
> be preserved across the redirect and when it only makes sense in the
> context of the original request.

I raised this with the HTTP WG:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2011AprJun/0489.html

It seems they are going to do something about it:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2011AprJun/0490.html

I guess we should evaluate again when that is done.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/