Re: [IndexedDB] Design Flaws: Not Stateless, Not Treating Objects As Opaque

On 31 Mar 2011, at 1:01 AM, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> Anyhow, I do think that the idea of passing in index values at the
> same time as a entry is created/modified is an interesting idea. And I
> have said so in the past on this list. It's definitely something we
> should consider for v2.

> Oh, and if we did this, I wouldn't really know how to support things
> like collations. Neither if you did collations using built in sets of
> locales (like in Pablo's recent proposal), nor if you used some sort
> of callback to do collation.
>
> / Jonas

That's fine. You don't need to figure it out. Just look at how stateless databases have done it (or not done it) and do likewise.

I submit to you that there is inadequate understanding of the concerns raised, hence the lack of urgency in trying to address them. That there is even a need for a "V2" is symptomatic of this.

It may be a good idea to start looking at these things not as "interesting ideas" but as essential database concepts.

If someone were trying to build some kind of transactional indexed key value store for the web, and they wanted to do a truly great job of it, they would certainly want to learn everything they could from databases that have made contributions to the field.