Re: Component Model is not an Isolation Model

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 8:54 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

> CDNs of various sorts, dedicated hostnames for different sorts of content
> (a la existing images.something.com setups), that sort of thing.
>
> If we want to not allow cross-site loading at all, those cases break. If we
> want to allow it, we should try to make it hard to shoot yourself in the
> foot by doing it, imo.

OK, but those are all generally loading from trusted sites, like <script>
does.

I understand that it would be nice to improve on <script> by protecting
against potential compromise of the other site. However, if document authors
and component API authors don't think hard about the possibility of their
component turning hostile (and I am very confident that they won't!), I fear
that the component will be able to wreak havoc in the container via the APIs
exposed by the component. For example, if we try to enforce protection via a
capability model, it's easy to accidentally leak capabilities through a
carelessly designed API.

So I'm worried that protecting containers from components will be a burden
on the component model that doesn't lead to much practical benefit. But
maybe I worry too much :-).

Rob