Re: Overview of W3C technologies for mobile Web applications

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 16:57:04 +0000
To: Somnath Chandra <schandra@mit.gov.in>
CC: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>, 'public-webapps' <public-webapps@w3.org>, boyera@w3.org, Swaran Lata <slata@mit.gov.in>

On 08/03/2011 15:08, Somnath Chandra wrote:
> We have already started working on Mobile Rendering Engine and Fonts
> development which would enable seamless display across platforms and
> devices.

That's interesting.  Did you know about work currently under way
involving Harfbuz to provide a small, universal rendering engine that
can be used on mobile devices and other kinds of OS to do opentype
rendering? [1]   Are you working on the same thing?  I'd hate to think
that you are reinventing the wheel such that different systems are
needed for different fonts...

[1] http://behdad.org/text/

Richard Ishida
Internationalization Activity Lead