Re: Using ArrayBuffer as payload for binary data to/from Web Workers

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 3:54 PM, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 6:05 PM, Chris Marrin <cmarrin@apple.com> wrote:
>>
>> Now that ArrayBuffer has made its way into XHR, I think it would be
>> reasonable to somehow use this new object type as a way to pass data to and
>> from Workers without copying. I've seen hints and thoughts about this here
>> and there, but I've never seen a formal discussion. I'm not even sure if
>> webapps is the place for this discussion, although it seems like a
>> reasonable place. Please let me know if there is a better place.
>
> ArrayBuffer is the most obvious use for zero-copy messaging, but I don't
> think it should be limited to it...
>
>> Has there been discussion anywhere that I've missed?
>
> Probably not the only one, but check the "WebWorkers and images" thread on
> whatwg.

There's definitely interest among the editors of the Typed Array spec
in revising the spec to support zero-copy data transfers to and from
web workers. In informal offline discussions, there was a tentative
plan to put up a new draft for discussion within the next month or so.
A goal was to prototype it before solidifying a spec so that we can be
assured it will work well for real-world use cases.

-Ken