Re: [whatwg] set input.value when input element has composition string

Hi, Niwa-san.

On 2011/03/02 15:30, Ryosuke Niwa wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 5:18 PM, Makoto Kato <m_kato@ga2.so-net.ne.jp
> <mailto:m_kato@ga2.so-net.ne.jp>> wrote:
>
>     On Safari 5, even if textbox has IME composition string, text into
>     textbox can be replaced by DOM/script.  But other browser's
>     behaviors are different, and this is no specification when textbox
>     has composition string.  Although IE, Chrome and Opera keep
>     composition string after value is replaced by DOM, each behavior
>     is different.
>
>     This is the result for this test on each browsers.  When textbox
>     has IME composition string such as ABCDEFG, then script
>     (textbox.value = "123";) is called, textbox becomes...
>
>     1. "123ABCDEFG" (ABCDEFG keeps composition state and caret is
>     after G).
>     2. "123" (composition string is removed).
>     3. "ABCDEFG" (ABCDEFG keeps composition state and caret is after G).
>
>     Which behavior is right?  1 is Opera 11, 2 is Safari 5, and 3 is
>     Chrome 10 and IE9.
>

> You must have tested Chrome improperly.  We currently have a bug in
> Chrome.  To see the bug, open the attached test and type "nihao" with
> Chinese IME on Windows or Mac.  Then press down array key.  The text
> is replaced by henhao but "henha" is still marked and looks as if I'm
> compositing "henha" but if I continue to type "ma" still with IME,
> then I observe that "henhaomao" is shown inside the input element.
>  Once this bug is fixed, Chrome's behavior should match that of Safari 5.

Do you think Safari's way (ex. 2) is right?   I found some bugs on
Chrome (and IE and Opera) when I test this, but I am not interesting
about bugs.

It is confused that each Web browser is different behavior for this .
This is not good as interoperability. So I would like to decide the
right behavior/specification when textbox.value = 'x'; that it has
composition string.

Also, some people says that it should not be canceled/removed even if
value is changed by DOM.  Because composition string is un-committed string.

Niwa-san and folks, how do you think right design for this situation??

-- Makoto Kato