Re: [DOMCore] fire and dispatch

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 7:23 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 09:00:27 +0100, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Mouse.click(document.body, {clientX : 10});
>>

> Yeah, that would be simpler. However, we do not really have this pattern
> anywhere in browser APIs and I believe last time we played with objects (for
> namespace support querySelector or some such) it was deemed problematic.

The Chromium extension APIs use this pattern and I think it's gone over well
in that space. For example, see chrome.contextMenus.create at
http://code.google.com/chrome/extensions/contextMenus.html. I don't see a
problem with beginning to introduce this into web APIs, but it would be a
departure from existing APIs.

> An alternative would be I guess what Simon Pieters proposed some time ago.
> That we make event IDL attributes mutable before the event is dispatched.
> And that they would get readonly semantics on setting during dispatch (i.e.
> based on the dispatch flag).

This seems fine to me too.

Ojan