Re: [DOMCore] fire and dispatch

On 2/25/11, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 04:05:44 +0100, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> OK. Why not expose a generic version of `fire` to the scripting
>> environment?
>
> I do not know of any research (or have done any myself) as to how often
> such a feature might be useful for authors. While firing an event is
> currently a series of steps (using proposed optional arguments):
>
>    var e = document.createEvent("Event")
>    e.initEvent("test")
>    dispatchEvent(e)
>
> ... it is not hugely complicated. (We could even make the argument to
> createEvent optional too and default it to "Event".) I could imagine
> having something like EventTarget.fireEvent(name) but if you want to get a
> little beyond the basics you will remain stuck with creating the event
> yourself.

Your example is simple. But some common cases of synth events are
complicated. UI Events aren't so bad but MouseEvents and especially
TouchEvents are a lot of work to synthesize.

Most cases for synth events are for testing -- feature test or unit test.

EventTarget.fireEvent(type[, options]);
--
Garrett