Re: Fullscreen API

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 9:12 AM, João Eiras <joao.eiras@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 7:49 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
> wrote:
> > The :full-screen-document pseudo-class could be replaced with a media
> query,
> > and that's probably a good idea. Thanks! The :full-screen pseudo-class
> > cannot since it applies to "the full-screen element", and media query
> state
> > is per-document.
>
> That works just as fine if a class is used.

You mean have the author set a class on the element? That requires more
author coding; removing the class would be tricky. Also, you can't handle
the case where an IFRAME (possibly cross-origin) wants to go full-screen ...
you'd need to set class values all the way up the document hierarchy.

Whether F11, double clicking, a context menu option, zooming or a
> gesture, are discoverable or not, it's a user agent UI issue,

I don't know of anything as discoverable as a button in the Web page next to
the rest of the video controls (for example).

> although
> a requestFullscreen() call could hint the UA that the webpage
> *suggests* going fullscreen, but then there is the spoofing/social
> engineering issue.

That's pretty much what the proposed spec says. It addresses (or permits
addressing) the spoofing issues reasonably well IMHO.

Rob