Re: [widgets] New Widget Update Types: Kill Switch and Patch

On 7 Feb 2011, at 14:22, Marcos Caceres wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Scott Wilson
> <scott.bradley.wilson@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I really like the Kill Switch/EOL idea and having a "type" attribute to specify it, but I'm concerned that the Patch type could be a bit more problematic to get consistently implemented.
>>

> Understood. What concerns are you having or what interop issues do you foresee?

Principally the handling of the various update states, rollbacks after failing to apply patches, problems with multiple-version-spanning patch updates that kind of thing.

Also when we unpack a widget and ready it, its no longer exactly the same as the input .wgt so we'd have to apply the patch against the originally imported package rather than the actual installed instance and then load it again or the patch won't take - so we may as well update the whole package anyway.

Its not a bad idea in principle, but potentially a lot of code to save a few kb of downloading.