Re: [IndexedDB] Compound and multiple keys

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 6:29 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Keean Schupke <keean@fry-it.com> wrote:
> > Compound primary keys are commonly used afaik.
>
> Indeed.  It's one of the common themes in the debate between natural
> and synthetic keys.

Fair enough.

Should we allow explicit compound keys?  I.e myOS.put({...}, ['first name',
'last name'])?  I feel pretty strongly that if we do, we should require this
be specified up-front when creating the objectStore.  I.e. add some
additional parameter to the optional options object.  Otherwise, we'll force
implementations to handle variable compound keys for just this one case,
which seems kind of silly.

The other option is to just disallow them.