Re: [widgets] Removed LocalizableString interface from Widgets API

On 1/10/11 3:39 PM, Robin Berjon wrote:
> On Jan 10, 2011, at 15:33 , Marcos Caceres wrote:
>> On 1/10/11 2:27 PM, Arthur Barstow wrote:
>>> Hi Marcos - have you checked with the I18N Core WG? My recollection is
>>> this functionality was added to the Widgets API spec based on their LC
>>> comments.
>>
>> I'll contact them soon for further discussion on use cases. If a strong case is made for requiring this functionality now, then I will add it again.
>
> How about removing localisation from all widget specs?

We make good use of the localization stuff in Opera Extensions (we have
a lot of dual language extensions in our extensions catalog). In both
our extensions catalog and in the runtime, we extract and show localized
content based on the P&C i18n model - and we do this effectively. So, I
am not in favor of dumping i18n support all together given that we have
spent a great deal of time implementing it, documenting it, telling devs
to use it, etc.

I would be happier if we could break up the Widget P&C spec into:

   * Packaging (zip only requirements)
   * XML Configuration for widgets
   * XML Localization and Folder-based Localization

This would allow implementers to cherry pick (as they are currently
doing in the market): there are a few specifications and implementations
that build on Widgets, but don't require i18n support.

Also, other members in this WG have raised concerns about the i18n model
used by widgets as an impediment to adoption of the specifications [1].

Kind regards,
Marcos

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2010OctDec/0159.html