Re: [XHR2] Blobs, names and FormData

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 18:21:39 +0200, Alfonso Martínez de Lizarrondo
<amla70@gmail.com> wrote:
> If a png screenshot (as provided by current Chrome in the paste event) is
> sent to the server and saved as "blob.bin" or "blob.blob", I doubt that
> it will be sent back to the client with the correct mime type and I
> don't know why the browser should try to sniff those contents instead of
> providing a
> correct hint while uploading the data to the server.
>
> I don't really know a realistic situation where a page can generate a
> Blob and don't know what kind of contents it has. It can be some text,
> some html, some picture, the new APIs will allow to create new types of
> contents that previously were out of scope for javascript, but in any of
> those situations the script will know what kind of data it's dealing
> with and what's the
> commonly expected extension for that content. So sending it in "the
> correct way" seems to me like a logical step, supporting the FormData is
> far more
> complex than just allowing to specify the filename so it would be a pity
> to forget about this missing bit.

Are you suggesting the browser should perform sniffing and decide the
extension based on that? What rules should it follow?

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-websec-mime-sniff

I'm not sure dragging all that complexity here is a good idea.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/