Re: Mouse Lock

From: Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 01:05:30 -0400
To: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
Cc: timeless <timeless@gmail.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Olli@pettay.fi, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com>, Vincent Scheib <scheib@google.com>, Brandon Andrews <warcraftthreeft@sbcglobal.net>, "Gregg Tavares (wrk)" <gman@google.com>, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com>, robert@ocallahan.org, public-webapps@w3.org
On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 10:10 PM, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com> wrote:

> There are certainly cases where extreme coordinates could be useful to an
> application.
> Those corner cases will have to be thought about, by those implementing
> such apps.

Moving the cursor to the top of the screen doesn't make sense when there's
no cursor.  The mouse no longer has a "position" onscreen; mouse lock
essentially turns it into a delta-based input device.

(FWIW, I've always found the top-edge mechanic used by browsers to exit
fullscreen to be a bad case of "best we could think of".  It interferes
badly with a ton of common UI mechanisms: menus, toolbars, tabs, address
bars, and so on.)

> 2) "Click and hold"; X number of seconds could pop up a context menu.

"Hold escape for 3 seconds" would probably work well, with a fade-in "keep
holding escape to exit fullscreen" overlay while holding, so the user knows
something's happening.  I try to avoid do-something-and-wait interfaces, but
it's reasonable for an escape mechanism.  This also avoids eating the escape
key entirely, so it's still available to applications, though of course
browsers could choose a different key.

> And what if the device in question is just a touchscreen with no
> keyboard, mouse or hardware buttons?

Mouse lock seems irrelevant on a touchscreen...

--
Glenn Maynard