Re: What changes to Web Messaging spec are proposed? [Was: Re: Using ArrayBuffer as payload for binary data to/from Web Workers]

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011, Ian Hickson wrote:

> How about we just make postMessage() take the object to clone in the first
> argument, an array of objects to transfer in the second; on the other
> side, the author receives the object cloned, with anything listed in the
> array and in the structured data being transferred instead of cloned, and,
> in addition, in the event.ports array, a list of the ports that were given
> in the transfer array.
>
> This has the advantage of being completely backwards-compatible.
>
> So for example, on the sending side:
>
>    postMessage(['copied', copiedArrayBuffer, transferredArrayBuffer,
>                 transferredPort1], // could be an object too
>                [transferredArrayBuffer, transferredPort1,
>                 transferredPort2]);
>
> ...on the receiving side, the event has
>
>    data == ['copied', newCopiedArrayBuffer, newTransferredArrayBuffer,
>             newTransferredPort1];
>    ports == [newTransferredPort1, newTransferredPort2];
>
> It's not going to win any design awards, but I think that boat has sailed
> for this particular API anyway, given the contraints we're operating under.

Since no serious problems were raised with this and it seems to address
all the constraints, I've now specced this.

One edge case that wasn't mentioned above is what happens when a non-port
Transferable object is in the second list but not the first. I defined it
such that it still gets cloned (and thus the original is neutered), but it
is then discarded. (That definition more or less fell out of the way one'd
have to implement this to make it simple to understand, but I'm happy to
do it a different way if there's a good reason to.)

http://html5.org/tools/web-apps-tracker?from=6272&to=6273

kbr: Feel free to ping me if you need advice on how to use this with
ArrayBuffer in the short term. On the long term I'm happy to just spec
this in the same spec as the rest of this stuff.