[widget] technology/specification name

From: Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 10:58:29 -0400
Cc: Bruce Lawson <brucel@opera.com>
To: public-webapps@w3.org
I do not want to start a name bikeshedding.
The name doesn't bother me so far, but I have seen that comment again and again.

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 14:06:24 GMT
    In Bruce Lawson’s personal site : Installable web apps and interoperability
    At http://www.brucelawson.co.uk/2011/installable-web-apps-and-interoperability/

    Installable apps (in W3C parlance, Widgets – which
    is a terrible name) allow authors to write apps
    using HTML(5), CSS, JavaScript, SVG etc, and
    package them up into a glorified Zip file with
    some configuration details which can then be
    installed on a computer.

It seems that "extensions" or "addons" would be more cognitively connected with Web developers.

    y'know, so terrible is the W3C “Widgets” name
    that I didn't even think it referred to the
    same thing as Chrome’s apps, et al.
    — http://twitter.com/nevali/status/83866541388603392

--
Karl Dubost - http://dev.opera.com/