Re: What changes to Web Messaging spec are proposed? [Was: Re: Using ArrayBuffer as payload for binary data to/from Web Workers]

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 1:25 AM, David Levin <levin@chromium.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 9:27 PM, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:
>
>> What happens if an object is included in the second list that doesn't
>> support transfer?  Ian said that it would throw, but I'm not sure that's
>> best.
>>

> If it doesn't throw, doesn't that introduce the backwards compat issue when
> something new is supported that wasn't before?

The backwards-compat issue that we've talked about before is when transfer
happens without opting into it explicitly for each object or type.  For
example, transferEverythingPossible([A, B]) would cause this problem: if A
supports transfer when you write the code and B does not, then B gaining
support a year later might break your code.

I can't think of backwards-compat issues with not throwing.  Can you give an
example?

--
Glenn Maynard