UUID's

From: Nathan Kitchen <w3c@nathankitchen.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 08:39:17 +0100
To: public-webapps@w3.org
Hi.

I'm not sure if this is the place to raise this, it's basically a request
for consideration of an API which I don't believe exists and would probably
be most useful within web apps: a UUID generator.

Earlier this week I hit a real-world issue where I needed to generate a UUID
from JavaScript. It's possible to do this using Math.random, but these
aren't guaranteed unique in the same way as version 1 UUID's (generated via
a time-based algorithm). Decent write-up here (not mine):

http://www.broofa.com/2008/09/javascript-uuid-function/

And the spec:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4122.txt

I'd expect a UUID generator might be useful in a number of use cases from
messaging to file IO to IndexedDb. Is this something Web Apps could
investigate, add to a meeting agenda, etc?

Thanks.