Re: RfC: moving Web Storage to WG Note; deadline June 29

From: Marcos Caceres <marcosscaceres@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 08:00:52 +0200
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>, Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 4:51 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> On 6/20/11 8:20 AM, Marcos Caceres wrote:
>>
>> Browser extensions are in every browser, so in a sense are part of the
>> web platform.
>
> I strongly object to both this claim and the idea that browser extension
> concerns should affect web-exposed APIs in general....

your claims seem pretty groundless given the fact the Storage is
implemented and used in exactly the same way on the web, in
extensions, and in widgets. I really don't know what you possibly
could be objecting to?

> The APIs exposed to browser extensions are similar to the web platform but
> quite different from it in all sorts of ways.

If that is so, then prove it: how *localStorage* in Opera extensions
and Chrome extensions as used by background pages in any way different
from localStorage on a Web page? What are these "all sorts of ways"
that I so naively fail to miss?

--
Marcos Caceres
http://datadriven.com.au