Re: Mouse Lock

From: Olli Pettay <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 01:26:57 +0300
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com>, Vincent Scheib <scheib@google.com>, Brandon Andrews <warcraftthreeft@sbcglobal.net>, "Gregg Tavares (wrk)" <gman@google.com>, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>, Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com>, robert@ocallahan.org, public-webapps@w3.org
On 06/21/2011 01:08 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Olli Pettay<Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi>  wrote:
>> On 06/21/2011 12:25 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>>> The use-case is non-fullscreen games and similar, where you'd prefer
>>> to lock the mouse as soon as the user clicks into the game.  Minecraft
>>> is the first example that pops into my head that works like this -
>>> it's windowed, and mouselocks you as soon as you click at it.
>>
>> And how would user unlock when some evil sites locks the mouse?
>> Could you give some concrete example about
>> " It's probably also useful to instruct the user how to release the lock."
>
> I'm assuming that the browser reserves some logical key (like Esc) for
> releasing things like this, and communicates this in the overlay
> message.

And what if the web page moves focus to some browser window, so that ESC
is fired there? Or what if the web page moves the window to be outside
the screen so that user can't actually see the message how to
unlock mouse?

-Olli