Re: [widgets] WARP usability issue

From: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 11:27:13 +0200
Cc: timeless <timeless@gmail.com>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>, Wojciech Masłowski <wmaslowski@opera.com>, Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
To: Marcos Caceres <marcosscaceres@gmail.com>
Hey, never too late to jump in I guess!

On May 12, 2011, at 14:54 , Marcos Caceres wrote:
> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 2:43 PM, timeless <timeless@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I really don't think relaxing the syntax is the right path forward.
>
> I'm ok with leaving it as is... but I guess we will have to see what
> runtimes end up doing. Opera has already willfully violated the spec.

There's a very good reason for not loosening the syntax, and for not wilfully violating the spec. The reason the spec is strict here is for forward compatibility. If someone says http://w3.org/foo and you ignore the /foo in v1, but then in v2 we wish to add path matching (as has already been suggesting), then if we go ahead all of a sudden that old content acquires new behaviour.

Of course the better solution is probably just to kill WARP and rely solely on CORS, but that's another kettle of fish altogether.

--
Robin Berjon
  Robineko (http://robineko.com/)