Re: [widgets] WARP usability issue

From: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 11:27:13 +0200
Cc: timeless <timeless@gmail.com>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>, Wojciech Masłowski <wmaslowski@opera.com>, Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
To: Marcos Caceres <marcosscaceres@gmail.com>
Hey, never too late to jump in I guess!

On May 12, 2011, at 14:54 , Marcos Caceres wrote:
> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 2:43 PM, timeless <timeless@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I really don't think relaxing the syntax is the right path forward.
> I'm ok with leaving it as is... but I guess we will have to see what
> runtimes end up doing. Opera has already willfully violated the spec.

There's a very good reason for not loosening the syntax, and for not wilfully violating the spec. The reason the spec is strict here is for forward compatibility. If someone says http://w3.org/foo and you ignore the /foo in v1, but then in v2 we wish to add path matching (as has already been suggesting), then if we go ahead all of a sudden that old content acquires new behaviour.

Of course the better solution is probably just to kill WARP and rely solely on CORS, but that's another kettle of fish altogether.

Robin Berjon
  Robineko (http://robineko.com/)
  Twitter: @robinberjon