Re: [webstorage] origin security check

On 14 Jun 2011, at 06:28, Marcos Caceres wrote:

> On Monday, June 13, 2011, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Jun 2011, Marcos Caceres wrote:
>>>
>>> I thought maybe I could get away with:
>>>
>>> "When getting or setting the preferences attribute, if the origin of a
>>> widget instance is mutable (e.g., if the user agent allows
>>> document.domain to be dynamically changed), then the user agent must
>>> perform the object initialization steps of [Web Storage] substituting
>>> the preferences attribute for the localStorage attribute where
>>> appropriate."
>>>
>>> But maybe I'll just do a copy and paste and just replace the appropriate
>>> bits of text.
>>
>> I guess that could work.
>>
>> By the way, how are you resolving the multiple-thread problem here? (Since
>> you're introducing a new API, it presumably doesn't have to have the same
>> bug as the localStorage API, where we're stuck for legacy reasons and are
>> basically forced to either have a cross-thread blocking API or a racy API,
>> depending on how it's implemented, both of which suck.)
>
> We are not solving it:(
>
> As widgets run as a single process, each instance in a unique origin,
> don't share data/cache with browser tabs/windows or other widgets,
> this issue does not come up much... At least no one has complained to
> me about it.

We've seen clients setting the same preference in different threads resulting in a consistency problem, however we basically go with the view that its something we just deal with - i.e. its not guaranteed to be consistent but we make best effort. In general use in a widget context its not going to be frequent or critical - we only come across it in a testing context by creating duplicate views of a widget instance, showing them alongside each other, which is a pretty pointless thing for a user to do.