Re: [Widgets] URI spec needs HTTP responses and dereferencing model

From: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 20:01:42 -0400
To: ext Rich Tibbett <rich.tibbett@gmail.com>
CC: Marcos Caceres <marcosscaceres@gmail.com>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Jun/9/2011 7:09 PM, ext Rich Tibbett wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 1:29 PM, Marcos Caceres<marcosscaceres@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> To fix it, the widget URI spec needs to respond with HTTP responses
>> when a URI is dereferenced... similar to what blob:// does:
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/FileAPI/#processingModel
> Are there are any plans to undertake a Provisional (or Permanent) URI
> Scheme Registration for the widget URI? [1] The guidelines and
> procedures of that process seem to form a handy general checklist for
> minting URI schemes and should be capable of catching idiosyncrasies
> such as this.
>
> Perhaps we should get the widget URI proposal peer reviewed by the W3C
> URI IG [2] and, perhaps, the IETF HTTP WG [3] before publication also.
> I mention this since you mention the blob URI scheme. That has
> recently been making the rounds on both of the listservs mentioned
> above resulting in some interesting discussions.

FYI, a separate list for discussions about schemes for packaging Web
applications and the like was created and used for this spec:

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-pkg-uri-scheme/

The IETF's uri-review list was also used for this spec:

   http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/uri-review/current/msg01131.html

-AB