Re: WebApps-ISSUE-181 (FileError-Name): Use case for FileError and FileException name attribute [File API]

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 08:49:27 +1200
To: Web Applications Working Group WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
Web Applications Working Group Issue Tracker:
> FileError [1] and FileException [2] both define a DOMString attribute
> called name that contains the name of the error/exception constant as
> a string. Since this is not a useful "human readable" error message,
> and developers should be encouraged to write code that compares
> against the code attribute, it's not clear what the purpose of 'name'
> is. We'd prefer to remove it.

Web IDL specifies that exceptions in ECMAScript will have a name
property on their prototype whose value is the identifier of the
interface.  If name is removed from FileException (and
OperationNotAllowedException, which I also would recommend), then you
will have `aFileException.name == "FileException"`.

--
Cameron McCormack ≝ http://mcc.id.au/