Re: [widgets]

On 24 May 2011, at 15:17, Marcos Caceres wrote:

> On 5/23/11 10:18 AM, Scott Wilson wrote:
>> Within the education vertical, the IMS consortium created a basic "launch" protocol for widget-like applications including user information and custom parameters [1] and we created a shim for using it with Apache Wookie [2]. So certainly a tractable area; If anything the IMS spec could work with far fewer parameters.
>
> agreed. Looks IMS looks far too complicated.
>
> In most cases, all you want is:
>
> $ engine -x y -z 123 some.wgt
>
> Or
>
> http://xxx/some.wgt?x=y&z=123

In Wookie its:

POST /widgetinstances
	widgetid=somewidgetIRI
	apikey=myapikey
	userid=scott
	shareddatakey=mypage
	locale=en

... which creates an instance and returns the instance URL and metadata for rendering.

We also have another resource endpoint for setting preferences:

POST /properties
	instance id
	propertyname
	propertyvalue

So this would support the use case, but in two API calls rather than a single POST.

(see: http://incubator.apache.org/wookie/wookie-rest-api.html)