Re: safeguarding a live getData() against looping scripts? (was: Re: clipboard events)

I believe this problem is solvable without a spec change.

On Windows and Mac, implementations can use a native clipboard sequence
number to determine the contents of the clipboard have changed.

Linux is trickier. There's an X extension called XFixes which provides this
utility, but I don't know how widely installed this extension is. Otherwise,
UAs can probably hack together their own sequence number implementation by
polling the X server about the current selection but it's kind of icky.

Daniel