Re: clipboard events

From: Paul Libbrecht <paul@hoplahup.net>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 09:30:51 +0200
Cc: Joo Eiras <joao.eiras@gmail.com>, public-webapps@w3.org
To: Daniel Cheng <dcheng@chromium.org>

Le 10 mai 2011  09:13, Daniel Cheng a crit :

> I would expect scripts to want one of two things when they're preventing the default action:
> 1. They want to set their own data in the clipboard instead of what the browser would normally provide by default--for example, a document editor that does its own layout instead of using contenteditable.

That sure is desirable. I am not clear between "instead" or "on top of" (or both).

> 2. They don't want to allow someone to copy data--perhaps it's data on a sensitive page.
> I think it's important to enable both.

I would be fierciely opposed to allow this and I remember Jonas Sicking was so as well.
This would certainly be a loss of freedom from users which I believe is not really nice.

But I realize that allowing 1 simply allows 2 as a special case.
We should make it more clear that sites that do that should ponder twice the loss of freedom thus removed.

paul